Sitting on the dock

Sitting on the dock
June 2010

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Journey of 75 Update

It has been 219 days, just over 31 weeks, since I began the Journey of 75. At this time I am unsure if a goal of 75lbs of weight loss is realistic for my age, body type and genetic composition; I have not been at that weight since I was in high school so I have no idea if it's achievable. For now I will just keep working toward it and see what happens as I get closer.

It took 17 weeks to lose 12lbs "on my own" through a combination of diet and exercise. Because I was frustrated and unsatisfied with the results, I started a program called Prism Weight Loss Program (www.pwlp.com) and made a conscious decision to focus on the diet/nutrition aspect of weight loss first and add a fitness component later. Since starting Prism 14 weeks ago, I have lost an additional 26 lbs for a total loss of 38lbs. I have not set foot in a gym, nor have I participated in any regular fitness program or activity in that 14 weeks. Having arrived at the halfway point of my goal, I think I am ready to add a fitness component back into my journey and I think my body will adjust to it much better than it did when I was trying to work out with 75 excess pounds on my frame.

Some other statistics of note:
1) I have lost 17% of my starting body weight
2) I have reduced by body mass index (BMI) by 5.4 points

Additionally, and more importantly, I now have the knowledge and tools I need to maintain this improved nutrition and eating behavior and for the first time ever, the confidence that I can keep it off for the rest of my life.

I'm only halfway across the bridge, but I'm 50% further than I was when the journey began back in November 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment